Physical Education P-12 (Certification): Master of Education
Program Admission Requirements
To be admitted to these programs, the prospective educator candidate must meet all requirements for admission to the School of Graduate Studies, including fingerprints/verification of background clearance, and hold a valid bachelor’s level Professional Educator Certificate in the same teaching field(s) in which the Class A Professional Educator Certificate is sought.
I. Professional Courses: 19 hours
- ED 500. Foundations of Education (3)
ED 501. Educational Planning (3)
- ED 504. Techniques of Educational Research (3)
ED 506. Educational Statistics (3)
- ED 505. Technology and Education (3)
- ED 508. Technology Portfolio (1)
- EP 500. Advanced Educational Psychology (3)
EP 506. Life-Span Development and Learning (3)
- CO 547. Counseling Multicultural Populations (3) *
- Approved 500-level elective in Education (3)
II. Teaching Field: 15 hours
- PE 520. Physical Education in the Elementary School (3)
- PE 522. Curriculum Design in School Health and Physical Education (3)
- PE 524. Teaching Aspects of Health and Physical Education (3)
- Six semester hours of approved physical education electives (6)
Total Required: 34 hours
- *Educator candidates who have not previously met the special education requirement must take a general survey course in special education SE 500 or if they have credit for a previous general special education course they will need to take CO 547.
- This program is also offered online.
Program Completion Requirements
The educator candidate shall:
- Maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.25 or better in all courses in the approved program as verified on an official transcript with no grade below “C.”
- Make a satisfactory score on a written comprehensive examination documenting mastery of the curriculum of the program.
Requirements for Alabama Class A Certification
- Meet all program requirements.
- Hold a valid bachelor’s level professional educator certificate in the same teaching field(s) in which the Class A Professional Educator Certificate is sought.
- Have an official transcript from a regionally accredited institution documenting an earned master’s degree.
The Educator Preparation Program and the Educator Certification Program are governed by the Alabama State Department of Education, and the College of Education reserves the right to change requirements in these programs at any time when such changes are mandated by the State Department.