What are the rates for tuition?
Current Tuition & Expenses are updated as approved by the Board of Trustees.
Where can I find my Account Balance?

Log in to Self Service (accessible through TigerHub) using your UWA email address and password. Click the “Student Finance” tab to view your latest account statement and make online payments.

I am receiving financial aid and/or grants, but it doesn’t show up on my account activity. Why?

If your loan information is not on your account, you may be missing the required documents with the Financial Aid Office. If you have questions relating to the status of your financial aid, you can review your financial aid information in Self Service (accessible through TigerHub) or contact the Financial Aid Office at (205) 652-3576.

My financial aid is more than my tuition, fees, and other charges. How will I get back the remaining funds?

Funds that are remaining after your student balance is paid will be sent to you as a refund check by mail to the address listed in UWA’s database or by direct deposit. Students can view/update their current mailing address in Self Service (accessible through TigerHub) and viewing their User Profile or setting up direct deposit information in WebAdvisor (accessible through TigerHub) and adding their bank information.

I am the parent of a student and I pay all the bills. Why can’t you talk to me about my student’s financial matters?

The Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requires that we have written permission from the student to disclose any part of your student’s educational records which, by law, are confidential. Your student can permit us to share his/her information with you by completing the FERPA form found on the FERPA page.

How can I apply for financial aid?
  • Create an FSA ID (user name and password) for the student and the parent at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using UWA’s School code (001024) at https://fafsa.ed.gov/spa/fafsa/#/LOGIN?locale=en_US for the correct academic year. For additional helpful hints on completing the FAFSA, click on the FSA Youtube Channel.
  • After you complete the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) that will provide a summary of the information you submitted in your FAFSA, your estimated family contribution, an estimate of your financial aid eligibility, and your unique Data Release Number (DRN). UWA will be sent an ISIR (Institutional Student Information Record) that is used to determine your eligibility for federal student aid and to create your financial aid package.

Learn more here.

What happens after I complete the FAFSA?

When your file is complete and eligibility has been determined, you will be offered the maximum amount of federal financial aid (including federal Pell grants and loans) for which you are eligible at the time of the award.

You will receive a notification of your award offer through your UWA email address with instructions on accessing your award offer through Self Service.

How can I view my financial aid information in the Self Service?
  • Login to Self Service (accessible through TigerHub) with your UWA email and password.
  • Click the “Financial Aid” tab.
  • There will be three links on the top of the next page: Financial Information, Financial Aid, and Financial Aid Home.
  • Click the “Financial Aid” link.
  • There will be a dropdown menu with financial aid information options including required documents, financial aid awards, outside awards, a college financing plan, and correspondence options.
How do I view/accept my financial aid offer on Self Service?
  • Log in to Self Service (accessible through TigerHub).
  • Click the “Financial Aid” tab.
  • Click the blue “Financial Aid” link at the top of the page.
  • Click “My Awards” in the dropdown menu.
  • Make sure to view the correct Academic Year.
  • Accept/Decline/Adjust your financial aid offer.

NOTE: Students are offered the maximum amount of aid they are eligible for at the time the FAFSA is processed and reviewed. While students do have the option to reduce or decline aid, they will need to contact the Financial Aid Office to determine if they may qualify for an increase of amounts.

How do I complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling?
  • Go to https://studentaid.gov/.
  • Login with your FSA Username and password.
  • Choose which type of student you are (Undergraduate/Graduate/Professional) or if you are a parent completing a PLUS loan, you will selected Parent Borrowers.
  • Complete the MPN and Entrance Counseling, making sure to list UWA’s school code (001024).
How can my parent complete the Parent PLUS loan?
  • The Parent PLUS loan application should be completed by a parent that is on the current FAFSA.
  • Online at https://studentaid.gov/, select “Parent Borrowers” and “Apply for a PLUS Loan.”
  • Complete the MPN for the Parent PLUS loan.
  • Parents will need to sign in using their FSA ID.
How do I apply for a Direct Graduate PLUS loan?
  • You must be a Graduate/Professional student to submit an application for the Graduate PLUS loan.
  • Go to https://studentaid.gov/.
  • Login with your FSA Username and password.
  • Select “Graduate/Professionals” and “Apply for PLUS Loan.”
  • You must have an approved Graduate PLUS loan in order for UWA to process and award it.
  • You must complete a separate MPN for the Graduate PLUS loan.
Where can I get information on private loan options?

If you would like to review a historical list of private loan lenders to UWA students, click here. Students can also find private loan lenders by searching for them online, although it is important to do thorough research before selecting a lender.

Our office cannot propose or recommend a private loan lender. The lender that you choose must send your certification via ELM (Education Loan Management, Inc.).

Under the federal Truth in Lending Act (TILA), lenders are required to supply you with a finalized disclosure statement (stating the terms and conditions of your loan), a self-certification form and a three-day right to cancel.

You must complete and sign the Self-Certification Form and send it to your lender. Always check to see if you can e-sign this form on your lender’s website.

Certain private loan lenders may require a student to be enrolled in at least half-time status and/or meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress to be eligible. Lenders will verify your information with UWA via ELM or other electronic communication.

NOTE: Students cannot receive more financial aid funds (including loans) than their Cost of Attendance, regardless of the source of those funds.

How do I file an appeal for financial aid reinstatement?

Students who have failed to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress can file an appeal for financial aid reinstatement by clicking here or by contacting the Financial Aid Office and requesting the Appeal for Reinstatement form.

What happens if I withdraw from all classes or drop courses throughout the semester?

Please see the Federal Return to Title IV Policy’ concerning how this affects your financial aid.

If you receive Federal Title IV aid (Pell Grants, Federal Direct Student Loans, Federal Direct PLUS Loans, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grants, etc.) and withdraw or stop attending classes, UWA will calculate the amount of aid you did not earn. If it is determined that you received aid you did not earn, the funds will be returned to the appropriate Title IV program(s).

You have only earned the percentage of aid that reflects the percentage of the term you attended. For example, if you complete 25% of the semester, you only earned 25% of the Title IV aid you were eligible for during the term of attendance. If you attend more than 60% of the term, funds will not be returned.

If you receive excess aid for the term attended, UWA must return the unearned portion. You may then be held accountable for paying this amount to UWA.

If UWA is not required to return the entire amount, you must repay the remaining amount to the appropriate Title IV program(s).

The Federal Direct Student Loans/PLUS Loans you may have borrowed will be repaid according to the terms of the original promissory note.

You will only be responsible for overpayment of unearned funds as determined by the US Department of Education Return to Title IV Funds Calculation. A student who owes an overpayment will not be eligible for additional Title IV aid until the overpayment has been resolved.

NOTE: Withdrawing and not completing coursework with a passing final grade will directly affect your Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress. Failure to meet this policy will result in suspension of future financial aid. This policy may be viewed by clicking here.

What is UWA’s Return of Title IV Funds Policy?

To withdraw from UWA, students must complete the Withdrawal Form provided by the Registrar’s Office. The date of the withdrawal will normally be the date the form is completed.

The Higher Education Act, section 484B, 34 CFR 668.22 specifies the formula that requires federal aid recipients to *earn* the aid they received while enrolled. Up through the 60% point in each payment period, a prorated schedule is used to determine the amount of Title IV funds the student has earned at the time of withdrawal. After the 60% point in the payment period, a student has earned 100% of the Title IV funds they received.

A student begins earning Title IV funds on the first day of attendance. Therefore, even if a student withdraws before UWA’s last day to register (prior to fund disbursement), the school must perform a return calculation using the number of days the student was determined to have attended class(es).

If it is determined by UWA that a student has ceased to attend class(es) or stopped completing academic-related activity, an unofficial withdrawal will be calculated using the last determined date of attendance or midpoint (based on the date that most benefits the student).

UWA must always return any unearned Title IV funds within 45 days of the date the school determined the student withdrew. UWA must also offer any post-withdrawal disbursement within 30 days of the date the school determined the student withdrew. A post-withdrawal disbursement must meet the current required conditions as outlined in the Return to Title IV Handbook. A post-withdrawal disbursement must be made within 120 days from the date the institution determines that the student withdrew.

UWA must notify a student in writing prior to making any post-withdrawal disbursement of any Title IV loan funds. A student/parent must provide written notification to UWA to request a post-withdrawal disbursement of any Title IV loan funds. The information provided in this notification must include the information necessary for the student to make an informed decision as to whether or not to accept any disbursement of loan funds to pay institutional charges.

Any student who withdraws and was eligible for Federal Pell, UWA will disburse funds to the student account. UWA is not required to notify and/or receive information from the student to disburse Pell funds. Pell disbursed will be calculated as a part of the Return to Title IV calculation.

A school must return Title IV funds to the programs from which the student received aid in the following order:

  1. Unsubsidized Federal Stafford loan
  2. Subsidized Federal Stafford loan
  3. Federal Plus loan
  4. Federal Pell Grant
  5. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  6. A student does not have to repay a grant overpayment of $50.00 or less
What Is the Cost of Attendance?

This is an estimate of how much money may be required to attend school for one semester and/or academic year at that college, including all practical expenses. For more information on the Cost of Attendance calculation, click here.

Where can I view Payment Plan options?

Students can view information or set up payment plans by clicking here or by contacting our Student Accounts Office at (205) 652-3542.