fbpx Housing FAQ | University of West Alabama Skip to main content
Explore UWA Request Info Schedule a Visit Apply Now

Applying for Housing

How do I contact the Housing Office?

You may contact the Housing Office either by phone at 205 652-3686 or email at housing@uwa.edu

How do I apply for housing?

The Housing application is available in your MyHousing portal.   If you are a newly admitted freshman or transfer student, the Housing will show in your MyHousing portal the business day after your Enrollment Confirmation Fee (ECF) posts to your account (which could be 2- 3 business days after you official payment). If you have attended UWA previously and you do not see an application for Housing on your Housing portal, please call us at 205-652-3686, or email us at housing@uwa.edu. 

What is the MyHousing portal?

MyHousing is your online resource for all things housing and can be found online at http://myhousing.uwa.edu.

  • See messages and alerts from the Housing Office

  • Apply for housing 

  • See your room assignment and your roommate's name and email

  • View your dining plan  and change it (if eligible) before you move in for Fall semester

  • Select your room during room selection time

  • Sign up for available waiting lists

  • Submit new maintenance requests and view the status of previous requests

  • Update your emergency and missing student contact information

  • Find Helpful Links, including the Overnight Guest Form, LaundryView, Campus Cable Channel Guide, and more.

Are students required to live on campus?

Freshmen are required to live on campus for up to one academic year.  In addition, some University scholarships require an on-campus residency. For example, students who receive a Trustee Scholarship award as a new freshman are required to live on campus for their first two years. Additional information about the Freshman Residency Requirement is available HERE.

How much does it cost to live on campus?

When you take into consideration the cost of utilities and commuting expenses, living on campus is very reasonable. Specific residence hall rates are listed HERE.

Are the residence halls safe?

Living on campus is generally safer than living off campus. Since residence halls serve as private residences for a large number of students, security and safety are important concerns. The UWA campus is patrolled by campus police officers 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Residence halls have fire alarm systems that are tested on a periodic basis, and every residence hall room has a smoke detector. In addition, Gilbert, Selden Hall, and Stickney Hall are locked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to limit access to only those students living in the buildings and their guests.

Do I need renter's insurance?

Yes. The University assumes no liability for personal property damage, loss, or theft, so we strongly encourage students to have renter's insurance unless you are already covered by your parent's homeowner's insurance policy or their renter's insurance policy. If your insurance company does not provide property insurance, the Housing Office recommends contacting GradGuard, an official partner of UWA Housing.

What is furnished in a residence hall room?

Each resident is provided a desk, chair, bed, closet area, and several drawers in a dresser cabinet. Click HERE for more information about Gilbert Hall for freshmen or HERE for upperclass residence halls.

Where can I find out when the residence halls open and close and other important dates?

Check out the Move In Schedule for the full move-in schedule. 

Below are other times halls open and close. See the University academic calendar for important university dates. 

  • Halls close for Thanksgiving Break at 10 AM the Saturday BEFORE Thanksgiving and re-open at 10 AM on the Sunday AFTER Thanksgiving. 

  • Halls close for Winter Break at 2 PM the Thursday BEFORE Commencement. 

  • Halls open in the Spring on Registration Day.

  • Halls close for Spring Break at 10 AM the Saturday BEFORE Spring Break and re-open at 10 AM on the Sunday AFTER Thanksgiving.

  • Halls close at the end of the Spring semester at 2 PM the Thursday BEFORe Commencement.

Are single rooms available?

Due to high occupancy levels, single rooms are not generally available during the fall semester. Single rooms may be available during the spring semester. A single room costs an additional 50% of the standard rental rate. 

At times, the Housing Office will offer the opportunity for students to sign up for a waiting list for single rooms in specific residence halls. Students can do this in their MyHousing portal, where they can see available Waiting Lists. If none are listed, then none are available at that time. Note that students must have a room assignment already before they sign up for a waiting list or else they will not be considered. 

Does UWA have family or married student housing?

No, the University does not have family housing or married student apartments.  Housing is only available for enrolled students in single-gender rooms.   Freshmen who are married and/or custodial parents are eligible for an exemption to the Freshman Residency Requirement.

I have a disability.  What should I do if I need special housing accommodations?

Students with a disability that need special housing accommodations should contact the Director of Student Advocacy and Parent Support,  Will Atkinson at watkinson@uwa.edu. While there is not a deadline, current and transfer students are encouraged to contact Will Atkinson by March 1st for the following Fall semester. Incoming freshmen should contact Will Atkinson by June 1st.  For other semesters, it is recommended that Will Atkinson be contacted at least 2 months prior to the beginning of the semester.

Is a deposit required to live on campus?

No, a deposit is not required to live on campus. However, new students must pay the University's $200 Enrollment Confirmation Fee.  There is a $100 application fee for returning students.

When should I apply for housing?

Housing applications for the Fall semester are generally available on January 15th.  Click HERE for specific deadline dates.

Dining Services

Do I have to get a meal plan if I live on campus?


  • All first-year freshmen and all students that live in a residence hall room without kitchen facilities are required to purchase the All-Access Meal Plan.

  • A 9-meal plan is required of all other residents.

  • Hoover residents who have lived on the UWA campus for at least two semesters are exempt from the meal plan requirement except during the summer semester.

  • All residents, including Hoover residents, must have a meal plan during the summer semester.

  • Additional information about the meal plans is available HERE.

How does the meal plan work?

The All Access Meal plan allows the student to enter the CAF an unlimited number of times during regular dining hours. Access is limited to once every thirty minutes.  

The 9 Meal plan allows the student the convenience of eating up to 9 meals at the CAF throughout the week. Access is limited to once per meal period.

How do Dining Dollars and TigerBucks work?

Tiger Bucks and Dining Dollars are debit-like accounts accessed using the Tiger Card.

  • Tiger Bucks can be used at all on-campus dining locations and at several off-campus restaurants and stores. Tiger Bucks may also be used to activate the washers and dryers in the residence halls and to pay for printing services in the campus computer labs.

  • Dining Dollars can only be used at on-campus locations (Young Cafeteria, Starbucks, Subway and Grille Works). Tiger Bucks roll over from semester to semester and are always available to you. However, any unused Dining Dollars are forfeited at the end of the Spring semester.

For more information, and to reload TigerBucks to your account, click HERE.

Room Assignment and Room Information 

How are roommates assigned? 

UWA has partnered with a college roommate matching service MyCollegeRoomie. On MyCollegeRoomie you have the ability to search and find your future roommate. 

After regular room selection ends, students who do not select a roommate through MyCollegeRoomie are assigned by the Housing Office. UWA encourages educational, social, and cultural diversity within the residence halls. Therefore, roommate assignments are made without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, or religion.

May I request a specific person as my roommate?

Yes.  You and your preferred roommate may request each other through MyCollegeRoomie.  If roommate matching is closed in My College Roomie, roommate matching may be limited due to the availability of rooms on campus. Please reach out to the Housing Office to determine if you are still able to match with a specific person. 

When will I find out my room assignment?

Fall room assignments are selected by the students themselves.  So, as soon as you select your room, you will know your room assignment.

New freshmen who apply for housing by July 15th will select their roommates via My College Roomie and then select their room shortly after. New freshmen who apply for housing after July 15th may have their roommates and rooms assigned by the Housing Office.  Room assignments will be posted on the MyHousing portal. 

Transfer students and current students that apply for housing by March 1st will select their roommates during the month of March and will select their rooms during room selection in early April.   Transfer students and current students who apply for housing after regular room selection will participate in open room selection, which is an ongoing process from May to July. 

Students that will begin their residency during the Spring or Summer semester will be assigned by the Housing Office.  Room assignments will be posted on the MyHousing portal on approximately December 15th for Spring semester and May 15th for Summer semester. For residents starting for the Summer II mini-term, those room assignments will be posted on approximately June 15th. 

What should I do if I want to change rooms?

If you have not already checked into your assigned room, you should participate in Pre-Occupancy Room Change, which takes place until July 25th.  Current residents should refer to the Residence Life Guide on MyHousing for information about changing rooms.

What happens if my roommate and I don't get along?

Although most students do get along with their roommates, from time to time, disagreements may occur. Roommate conflicts are a natural part of community living. We want you to learn to resolve conflicting issues with your roommate since the ability to resolve differences is a useful skill that you will be able to utilize in college and after you graduate. Most residents are able to work out conflicts on their own. However, sometimes roommates find that an outside mediator is helpful. You should contact your resident assistant (RA) if mediation is needed. Occasionally conflicts arise that cannot be resolved. In these cases of irreconcilable differences, one or both of the residents will need to change rooms.  Current residents should refer to the Residence Life Guide on MyHousing for information on changing rooms.

Once I receive my room assignment, may I see my room?

No.  Since our residence halls are used for camps and conferences during the summer, we are not able to show you your particular room.  Gilbert Hall may be seen during a campus tour with the Admissions Office.  Transfer students may schedule an appointment to see other residence halls, if available, by contacting the Housing Office at 205-652-3686 at least one week prior to your anticipated visit to campus.

May I bring a microwave oven?

One small microwave oven (800 watts or less) is permitted per room/apartment. It is recommended that roommates discuss who will be bringing the microwave.

May I bring a refrigerator? 

Compact refrigerators (4.0 cubic feet or smaller) are permitted at Gilbert, Selden, and Reed Halls ONLY. Refrigerators should be energy efficient and must not use more than 350 kilowatt-hours per year (KWH/year). For space reasons, it is recommended that each pair of roommates share one refrigerator instead of having two refrigerators in the room. In Gilbert Hall, there is a designated space under the kitchen counter that has been designed to accommodate one compact refrigerator. The dimensions of the space are 34 inches high, 24 inches wide, and 26 inches deep.

Patterson, Stickney, and Hoover residents are not permitted to bring refrigerators since refrigerators are provided.

What size sheets fit the beds on campus?

Mattresses on campus are twin extra-long (36" x 80"), except for beds on the sorority wings at Selden Hall (these are full-size mattresses). If you are bringing fitted sheets, we suggest extra-long sheets. 

Do rooms have cable television?

Yes.  Every residence hall room and campus apartment has free basic cable TV service. You will need to provide your own cable-ready television and coaxial cable. In order to work with the University's cable service, a television must have a QAM 256 (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) digital tuner. Most flat-screen televisions manufactured after 2009 come equipped with a QAM 256 tuner but some TVs do not. If you are buying a new TV, you should make sure that the TV has a QAM 256 tuner. This is especially important if you are buying one of the following television brands: Apex, Dynex, Element, Emerson, Haier, HiSense, Insignia, Magnavox, ProScan, RCA, Sanyo, Sceptre, Seiki, Sylvania, ViewSonic and Westinghouse.

Can I put a TV mount on my wall in my room?

No.  TVs may not be mounted to the wall.

Will I be able to connect to the internet from my room?

Yes. Every residence hall and apartment on campus is connected to the University's local area network by way of several wireless access points (Wi-Fi). The residence halls do not have ethernet connections.

Are there laundry facilities in the residence halls?

Yes. Each residence hall and apartment area has a laundry room available for use by the residents of the area.  There is no additional charge for the use of washers and dryers by residents of the building. 

Residents can see which washers and dryers are available before going to the laundry room by checking out LaundryView HERE.

Do the residence hall rooms have window coverings?

Yes. The residence hall rooms have mini-blinds.

May I build a loft in my room?

No.  Lofts and bed risers are not permitted.  All beds on campus are height-adjustable; they may be raised high enough to store the dresser cabinet under the bed. 

What do I need to bring?  Do you have a suggested packing list?  Also, are there things I cannot bring?

Deciding what to bring to college is a major task. You don't want to bring too much stuff or you'll be falling all over everything. However, you should bring things that you feel will make your room your "home away from home". The Housing Office recommends contacting your roommate in advance to discuss who is bringing what. HERE is a list of items you may want to bring (packing list) and what to leave at home.


Can I bring my pet to campus housing?

No.  With the exception of fish, pets are not permitted in the residence halls and campus apartments, even for a brief amount of time. Pets are also prohibited within 50 feet of all residence halls and campus apartments.

Fish are permitted as long as they are contained in a 10-gallon or smaller aquarium. Other creatures, such as reptiles, are prohibited, even if they can live in an aquarium.

For information about Service Animals or Emotional Support Animals, please contact Will Atkinson, Director of Student Advocacy and Parent Support, at watkinson@uwa.edu. 

Can I bring my vehicle to campus?

Yes.  However, you must register your vehicle with Campus Police and purchase a parking decal.  Go HERE to register your vehicle.

Do you have information about the rooms at Gilbert Hall?

Here is information about Gilbert Hall for which we receive the most questions:

Window Dimensions: 34 ½” wide by 72” long

Desk with movable stand included: 24” x 48”

Distance between beds: 82”

Clearance under the bed when fully raised: 31”

Refrigerator space in kitchenette area: 24” wide x 34” tall x 26” deep

Additional information is available on the Gilbert Hall page. 

What is the size of the windows at Hoover Apartments?


Hoover Window Dimensions:

Phase 1: 48 ½” x 44 ½” H

Phase 2: 58” x 34 ½” H

Current Residents

What is my mailing address?

Residents do not receive mail at their residence halls. For this reason, residents should rent a campus mailbox at the Student Union Building - boxes are $5 per semester, which must be paid in person with cash or check. Students are encouraged to rent a mailbox during Summer Orientation so that they know their mailing address before arriving on campus. Your address will be as follows:

Your Name
1 College Drive
UWA Box (Your Box Number)
Livingston, Alabama 35470-2098

May I stay on campus during university breaks, such as Spring Break?

Yes.  Residents needing to stay over Thanksgiving Break or Spring Break must sign up for break housing on MyHousing at least one week prior to the first day of the break. There is no additional charge to stay over the break but residents must sign up.

Residents needing to stay over Winter Break must sign up for break housing by the first day of final exams on MyHousing. The fee to stay over Winter Break is $300.

Residents that need to stay over May Break must sign up for break housing by the first day of final exams on MyHousing. The fee to stay over May Break is $300. May Break housing is only available to spring residents who have reserved housing for the summer semester and will require relocation to a designated residence hall.

Can I smoke in my room?

No.  Smoking and vaping are not permitted in or around the residence halls. This means that smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the building nor within fifty feet of the building. E-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, such as chewing tobacco and smokeless pouches, are also prohibited.

Is there a curfew?

No.  UWA does not have a residence hall curfew. Students may come and go from our halls as they please, but we do have a visitation policy that restricts the time when students may have guests in the building. Also, exterior doors at Gilbert, Selden, and Stickney are locked 24 hours a day. Residents of Gilbert and Selden use a card to gain access to the building, while residents of Stickney Hall may use their room key to unlock the main entrance.

Can I have visitors in my room?

Yes.  To ensure a degree of privacy for residents and maintain a secure environment, the residence halls and apartments on campus have a visitation schedule that limits visits by guests. A guest is defined as anyone (male or female) who is not assigned to the specific room or apartment.

Visitation is defined as the time period when guests are permitted to be in the residence hall and in your room or apartment. However, visitation is a privilege, not a right. Residents must consider the privacy of their roommates when having guests in their room or apartment. Study and sleep needs have priority over visitation; so, roommates must agree to the times when they will have guests in the room/ apartment. If roommates cannot agree on visitation, the Hall Director has the authority to reduce or prohibit visitation within the room/apartment. Residents who wish to limit visitation hours within their room/apartment should meet with their Hall Director. The Housing Office staff may limit visitation hours and adjust the visitation schedule, as deemed necessary. For safety reasons, it is a violation of policy to let anyone into your residence hall or your room that is not your guest.

Visitation is permitted during the following times:

Gilbert Hall
Sunday - Thursday, 10:30 AM - 12 Midnight
Friday & Saturday, 10:30 AM - 2 AM

All Other Halls
Daily, 10:30 AM - 2 AM

  • Visitation applies to each specific room, so residents may not have guests in their room outside of the above times,  even if the person lives in the same building.
  • Guests that do not live in your residence hall must be escorted at all times while in your residence hall, including when the guest enters the hall, is in the resident’s room or any common areas within the hall, and when the guest exits the hall.
  • The host resident must be present in the room and/or in the common area with the guest at all times while the guest is in the room or common area, even for those buildings with outside entrances.
  • Residents are held responsible for the actions of their guests; so, it is very important that you do not let your guest(s) travel in your residence hall without you. You will be held responsible for your guests’ actions, even if you are not escorting your guest. If you do not want to be held responsible for the actions of your guests, you should not have guests.
  • Children under 10 years of age must be escorted by a parent/ legal guardian at all times.
  • Children under 3 years of age are not permitted in the residence halls or university apartments except on Move-In Day and during official open house events.

How many guests can I have at a time?

No more than four guests are allowed in any residence hall room at the same time. If you have a roommate, you must coordinate this with your roommate so that the total occupancy of your room, including you, your roommate, and all guests do not exceed six people. While this policy also applies to an individual bedroom at Hoover, the total number of people permitted in a Hoover apartment is four guests of any individual resident with a total of six guests in the apartment at any one time.

Can I have an overnight guest?

A resident may have a person of the same sex stay as an overnight guest in his/her residence hall room if approved in advance by the Hall Director. To request approval for an overnight guest, after speaking with your roommate and getting approval from him/her, complete the online overnight guest form located on the MyHousing portal  (under Links) at least 48 hours prior to the visit (or by Thursday at 5 PM if visiting over the weekend).

What is an RA?

An RA is a Resident Assistant. These students have been trained to assist residents in their adjustment to college life and to assist students with housing concerns. RAs provide programs and activities that promote social, educational, physical, and mental development.

May I store things over the summer?

We are unable to offer storage for students during the summer. Special summer storage space has been provided by the Housing Office to the International Programs Office, so international students should contact International Programs regarding summer storage.

When should I re-apply for housing for next fall?

The Housing Office will notify current residents when the application for the following school year is available.  However, the application for returning students is usually available on MyHousing  by January 15.  In order to participate in the first round of Online Room Selection, current residents must re-apply for housing by March 1st.

What is the physical address of my residence hall (for car insurance purposes)?

Gilbert Hall
185 Student Union Drive
Livingston, AL 35470

Hoover Apartments
494 University Drive
Livingston, AL 35470

Patterson Hall
95 Student Union Drive
Livingston, AL 35470

Reed Hall
321 Student Union Drive
Livingston, AL 35470

Selden Hall
261 Student Union Drive
Livingston, AL 35470

Stickney Hall
134 Washington Street
Livingston, AL 35470

Remember that these are NOT mailing addresses, only physical addresses.  Do NOT use these addresses for packages, as they will not be delivered.

Can I hang things on the walls in my room?

  • While residents of Stickney, Reed, Patterson, Selden, and Hoover Phase I may use removable strips/hooks on walls that are not drywall, as long as they don't damage the wall and are removed appropriately at check-out.
  • Residents of Hoover Phase II and Gilbert are not allowed to use 3M Command Strips or similar adhesives. While the strips may not damage if used appropriately and for a short time period, excessive damage can be caused if the object is too heavy, the strip is not removed properly, or it is on the wall for more than a few weeks.
  • Residents of Gilbert and Hoover Phase II may choose to use small thumbtacks or staples (up to 12 across the entire room and none within 12" of each other) and up to 4 small tacks/nails that are less than 1/16" in size (tiny!!!). Hanging heavier items on any of these can result in larger holes for which you would be responsible. Adhesive hooks and strips are NOT permitted in Gilbert or Hoover II.
  • Stickers, vinyl, contact paper, and similar products are not permitted on walls - these WILL cause damage. 

Something is broken or not working in my room. What should I do?

Submit a maintenance request through the MyHousing portal. Click on RCR/Damages in the main menu, then  Maintenance Requests. You can add work orders and see the status of any requests you have previously submitted. 

What should I do if I have a question that isn't answered here?

If you have a question that is not covered here, you should contact the Housing Office. The phone number is 205-652-3686. The e-mail address is housing@uwa.edu.

Contract Release/Cancel Housing

I've applied for housing but my plans have changed. How do I cancel my housing application?

Visit the MyHousing portal. Click on your application at the top of the page. There is an option to cancel your application. This option is only available for students who have NOT checked in or moved on campus. If you have already checked in or moved on campus, you must submit an online Housing Agreement Release form.  Click HERE for the Housing Agreement Release form.

If I move off campus before the end of the school year, do I get a refund?

The Housing Agreement is a legal contract for one academic year. So, in most cases, you will not receive a refund if you move off campus before the end of the agreement period. 

If you are participating in a full-time internship during the Spring semester at least ten miles from Livingston or graduating at the end of the Fall semester, you may request to be released from your Housing Agreement by submitting a Housing Agreement Release Form by November 15.  If your request is approved and you check out of your room properly through your hall director, you will not be charged rent for the Spring semester. 

If you withdraw from UWA during the semester, you must submit a Housing Agreement Release Form If you withdraw after 60% of the semester has taken place, you will not receive a refund on your room or meal plan for the current semester.  The 60% point varies from year-to-year but is approximately October 15, March 10 and July 5.

Incoming Freshman
  Apply for Freshman Housing
  Gilbert Hall
  Residency Requirements
Incoming Transfers
  Apply for Transfer Housing
  Housing Options
Current Students
  Apply for Housing
  ResLife Guide
Camps and Conferences
  Host Your Event at UWA
  Policies and Information
  Camps/Conferences FAQ
About Us
       Mission Statement
  Meet the Staff
  Contact Us
Additional Information
  Housing and Meal Rates
  Off-Campus Housing
  Dining and Meal Plans
  Faculty/Staff Housing