Cell and Molecular Biology Major (Medical)
Our genetic makeup makes us like no one else. When you explore the building blocks of life, you give yourself ample career opportunities in the field of biology. With this multidisciplinary medical major, you will gain a foundation in science and interdisciplinary training that affords you future career development in some of the more specialized areas of biomedical research and education. Upon completion of the program, you will have research experience, summer internship experience, career preparation, as well as, conference presentation, honor society involvement and volunteering activities under your belt. This track is suited for those interested in admission into medical, dental, veterinary, dentistry, physical therapy or optometry fields, or into graduate schools. Additionally, our graduates find themselves with a career in basic clinical laboratory research, biotechnology research or in the field of forensic science/criminal science.
Detailed curriculum information can be found in the catalog.
- Plant, Animal, and Microbial Diversity
- Molecular/Cell Biology and Genetics
- Undergraduate Research Experience
- General and Organic Chemistry
- Additional Academic Preparation in Chosen Minor
- Data Analysis and Presentation Skills
- Career Preparation Skills
- Hands-on discovery based research experience
- Summer Internships
- Shadowing opportunities
- Regional, national and international conference presentations
- Biological Honor Society and Alpha Epsilon Delta National Health Professional Honor Society
- Opportunities to volunteer with high schools (Science Fairs, Science Saturdays, Science Olympiad)
Our graduates have gone on to pursue graduate study in biological sciences, medicine, dentistry, and pharmacology. Others have found jobs in pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. Students who choose biological sciences are well prepared for:
- Admission into medical, dental, veterinary, physical therapy, or physician’s assistant graduate programs
- Pharmaceutical Research and Sales
- Biomedical Technology, Clinical Laboratory or Research Technology
- Biotechnology Research
- Forensic Science/Criminal Science
Contact Information: Dr. Jeffery Merida at 205-652-3771.