Collaborative Special Education 6-12: Education Specialist
The Educational Specialist in Special Education: Collaborative Teacher 6 – 12 program consists of a thirty-three hour degree designed to prepare candidates for advanced specialization and proficiency in the area of secondary learners with exceptional needs by broadening perceptions of current issues and trends that affect special education in the 21st century. A candidate who took a course for credit in a master’s level program cannot take the same course for credit in the special education specialist program.
Detailed curriculum information can be found in the catalog.
- Curriculum Design
- Challenges in Rural Education (3) or ED 605. Teaching English Language Learners
- Leadership for Enhanced Student Achievement
- Advanced Educational Research
- Assistive Technology
- Inclusive Practices and Transitions
- Positive Counseling Services for Teachers and Families
- Advanced Measurement and Assessment in Special Education
- Methods and Materials for Gifted and Talented
- Advanced Applied Behavior Analysis
- Literature Strategies across the Curriculum 6 - 12
- Carroll Parnell Cunnigham Award – This award is given to a graduate student with the highest grade point average (GPA) and who exemplifies exceptional professional dispositions as an educator.
Candidates who complete requirements for the degree of Educational Specialist in Special Education: Collaborative Teacher 6 – 12, and meet all requirements specified by the Alabama State Board of Education may be recommended for a Class AA professional educator certificate in the area: Special Education-Collaborative Teacher 6 - 12. Having a Specialist’s degree with the related certification area provides for an increase in annual salary. The Special Education Specialist degree may also provide individuals with additional career opportunities such as Special Education Program Coordinator, Instructional Coach, Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, or Transitional Interventionist.
College of Education: Dr. Kimberly Griffith - email@example.com or 205-652-3753