The UWA Bands program is dedicated to creating rewarding musical performances at concerts and athletic events through our numerous ensembles.
UWA Bands Upcoming Events
Are you thinking about becoming a member of the UWA Bands? Click on the link below and fill out our potential member information form. One of our staff members will be in contact with you shortly about how you can be part of our program!
All members of the West Alabama Marching Band receive a scholarship! Additional scholarship money is available for those who perform with the UWA Wind Ensemble in the Fall, and the Concert Band or Jazz Band in the spring semester.
All candidates must be accepted to the University of West Alabama prior to auditioning. If a candidate has not applied, they should do so immediately. Note that candidates’ acceptance to UWA will be verified prior to the audition. A candidate who is a current UWA student must have an overall GPA of at least 2.0. All candidates should be aware that band camp dates are mandatory upon their selection into the organization.
Future Woodwind/Brass/Concert Percussion Members
Scheduling an in-person audition or submitting a video audition can be completed using the link below.
A woodwind/brass audition consists of:
- Three major scales of your choice
- Chromatic scale from lowest to highest of your comfortable range
- A 60-90 second etude or solo that you have prepared on your instrument (all-state etude is acceptable)
A concert percussion audition consists of:
- A snare drum etude
- A timpani etude
- A mallet etude and three major scales of your choice (if you have no mallet instrument skills, this portion may be excluded)
Future Auxiliary Members
Candidate Checklist (Due Date TBA)
- Incoming Students: Acceptance Letter — Turnaround time is typically 3 weeks (Email to Director/Assistant Director)
- Current Students: Transcript (Email to Director/Assistant Director)
- Audition Application (with solo music mp3/wav file attached for approval; the attached file should be cut to the exact start and stop points of your routine.)
Audition Prep Clinic
This clinic is mandatory, as the group routine and fight song will be taught during this session. The 2024 Auxiliary Prep Clinic date is TBA.
As long as choices are appropriate, participants may attend in any attire they see fit
The date for the 2024 West Alabama Marching Band Auxiliary Auditions is TBA. Auditions will occur in the Hughes Gymnasium. Candidates will be taught a brief routine at the clinic, which will be performed in small groups at the audition. Candidates will be judged on their ability to perform cleanly within a group, execution, technique, and showmanship.
Colorguard: 9:00 AM-12:00 PM
Danceline:12:00 PM-3:00 PM
Majorette: 3:00: PM-6:00 PM
Order of Events
- Individual Solo Routines
- Majorettes: 90-second minimum/120-second maximum time limit
- Dance Line: 60-second minimum/90-second maximum time limit
- Flag Line: 60-second minimum/90-second maximum time limit
- Basic Skills
- Group Routine — taught at a clinic to be performed at an audition in small groups
- Marching Fundamentals
- Black leotard
- Neutral face, red lip
- Closed-toed jazz shoes (Pedini preferred)
- “Half-up, half-down” hair
- Skin-tone tights
- No jewelry
|Majorette Basics||Colorguard Basics||Danceline Basics|
– Little Joes
– Vertical Finger Twirls (Left/Right)
– Horizontal Finger Twirls (Left/Right)
– Figure 8’s (Vertical)
– Horizontal Toss
– Horizontal One Turn
– One Turn
– Two Turn
– Elbow Roll Extended
– 1 to 2 (Vertical and Horizontal)
– Toss Illusion
– Back Catch
– Toss Bow
– Jazz Bow
– Toss Two Hand Spin
– Toss Pass Pass
– Toss Pass Over Both Shoulders
– Toss Taffy Pull
– Horizontal/Vertical Toss
– Skater Spin
– Fan Kick (Right and Left)
– Split Leap (Toss)
|– Drop Spins|
– Speed Spins
– Back Scratcher
– Row Boats
– Around the World
– Horizontal Toss
– Speed Spin Toss
– Toaster Toss
|– Single Pirouette|
– Double Pirouette
– Triple Pirouette
– Jete Leap
– Leap in Second
– Calypso Leap
– Turns in Second
– Kick Combination
– Right and Left Split
Future Drumline Members
The due date for registering to attend the 2024 Drumline Audition is TBA.
What to Bring
- At least one pair of sticks for the drumline section for which you intend to audition
- Water bottle
Details on housing and meals will be provided soon.
Frequently Asked Questions
We currently offer four ensembles.
The UWA Wind Ensemble is made up of woodwinds, brass, and percussion and meets during the fall and spring semesters.
The West Alabama Marching Band (WAMB) performs at all UWA home football games, and travels as a full band to one away game per year. There are additional opportunities for a smaller group to travel to other away games. The WAMB also travels to Mardi Gras in the spring semester in various locations (Mobile, New Orleans, etc.) This ensemble is made up of woodwinds, brass, battery percussion, front ensemble, and auxiliaries (majorettes, color guard, dance line).
Side Court Pep Band performs at all UWA men’s and women’s home basketball games. The group may also travel for tournament appearances. In March 2023, Side Court traveled to Fort Lauderdale, Florida for the Men’s NCAA D2 Basketball Tournament!
LU Jazz Band is a standard big band style jazz ensemble made up of saxophones, trombones, trumpets, and rhythm section. This ensemble meets in the spring semester and performs jazz standards as well as contemporary repertoire.
The baseline scholarship for each member of UWA Bands (auxiliary included) is $1,500.00.
UWA Bands Members will receive higher awards by:
- Audition quality
- All-State selection
- Participating in other ensembles (wind ensemble, jazz band, Side Court Pep Band)
- Being selected for the leadership team
Sure! All UWA Bands members receive a band scholarship. As we mentioned previously, those vary depending on a number of factors. This fall, we had incoming freshman band scholarships ranging from $1500 per year (only participating in one ensemble) to $4000 per year (participating in all ensembles). We also have some upperclassmen receiving $5000 in band scholarship money per year.
Many of our band students also receive academic scholarships based on their high school/community college GPA or standardized test scores. Additionally, a number of our students receive Trustee Leadership Awards for their involvement in their school or community. You can find more information about those and other scholarships here.
Below are a few examples of scholarship packages. Keep in mind that many of our students also receive Pell Grants (62% of UWA students over the past 6 years) and private scholarship awards from outside UWA. Those help to grow your total scholarship/award package!
28 ACT – $5000 per year academic scholarship
SGA Officer – $2500 per year Trustee Leadership Award
Excellent audition and participation in WAMB, UWA Wind Ensemble, and Side Court Pep Band – $4000 per year UWA Bands Scholarship
Total award per year from UWA scholarships – $11,500 (over half of the total cost per year for a freshman to attend UWA, including housing and meals!)
3.48 High School GPA – $3000 per year academic scholarship
Club President – $2500 Trustee Leadership Award
Average audition and participation in WAMB only – $1500-$2000 per year UWA Bands Scholarship
Total award per year from UWA Scholarships – $7000-$7500
3.76 GPA – $4000 per year academic scholarship
Qualified for Trustee Leadership Scholarship – $2500
Excellent audition for color guard – $2000 per year UWA Bands scholarship
Total award per year from UWA Scholarships – $8500
These are examples of scholarship packages for some of our current band students. If you qualify for and receive Pell Grant money, it will add to your total award package. Academic and other scholarships must be applied for, and band scholarships are received through an audition. Band scholarships can increase each year as the student improves their ability.
Indoor rehearsals are located in the Foust Hall Band Room. Outdoor rehearsals are located on the Lyon Hall field.
Requirements for wind instruments are as follows:
- Video or in-person audition
- Three major scales of your choice
- Chromatic scale from your lowest comfortable to your highest comfortable range
- A 60-90 second solo or etude that you have prepared
Requirements for percussion are as follows:
- Percussion auditions depend on the ensembles in which you would like to perform
- Drumline audition clinics and camps occur on campus in the spring/summer to determine WAMB Drumline personnel
- Wind ensemble percussion placement requires an in-person audition on snare/timpani/mallet etudes prepared in advance by the student
- Jazz Band/Pep Band drum set placement requires an in-person audition on a drumset
Requirements for auxiliary are as follows:
- Auditions for Colorguard, Danceline, and Majorettes will occur in the spring semester preceding the fall season.
- A mandatory audition clinic will occur 2-3 weeks before auditions.
- During the clinic, auditionees will learn the requirements for the audition.
Being a part of the UWA Bands Program doesn’t cost anything!
- No band fees
- We pay YOU!
- UWA Bands gear provided
2024 UWA Band Camp Schedule Coming Soon
Alumni are an essential part of our history, and the West Alabama Marching Band staff invites you to stay connected with your band community in Livingston by joining our Alumni Band database. By becoming a part of this database, you play a pivotal role in strengthening the sense of community among our alumni. This collection helps in documenting our band’s history and keeping you informed about the latest developments, upcoming alumni band events, and opportunities to support and connect with current students.
Concert Program Archive
- UWA Wind Ensemble Concert | April 25, 2023 | 7:00 p.m. | UWA Auditorium
- UWA Wind Ensemble Concert | October 17th, 2023