Skip to main content
Explore UWA Request Info Schedule a Visit Apply Now

Students in Grill WorksDual Enrollment: On-campus

How does Dual Enrollment Work?

Dual enrollment allows students to receive college credit for classes they take while in high school. A college-level dual enrollment course will take the place of a high school course, so students are not taking additional coursework. The coursework will count both toward high school graduation and college credit. 

UWA offers dual enrollment courses at its Livingston campus and on selected high school campuses. The following high schools offer dual enrollment on their campuses:

  • Demopolis High School (English, math, history, speech)1

  • University Charter School (English, math, history, speech)1

1  Available courses can change without notice. Check with your high school counselor to verify campus course offerings.

Students who take dual-enrollment classes on their high school campus or on UWA's campus are also eligible to take dual-enrollment courses online as long as (1) their school agrees to offer high school credit for the online courses and (2). Check with your school counselor to learn all dual enrollment options available at your school.

Dual Enrollment Courses and Translation to High School Credit

Campus dual enrollment classes are semester-long courses. Therefore, each dual enrollment class replaces one high school class. It is possible to take up to four campus dual enrollment courses in a semester. Note that students attempting to complete college freshman year basic requirements should make sure to take classes that are required in a college basic curriculum. Otherwise, the courses might count as electives at the college level but not fulfill basic curriculum requirements. Also, note that colleges require some courses in sequence. For example, a college might require two histories in a sequence (e.g., HY 101 History of Western Civilization I and HY 102 History of Western Civilization II) to meet the college's basic history requirement.  In that scenario, taking HY 101 History of Western Civilization I and HY 212 American History I would only count as one history and one elective because these courses are not in a sequence.

Below is an example of the translation of college credit to high school credit:

UWA Term

UWA Course

High School Equivalent 

Fall (August - December)

EH 101 Written English I

AP English

Fall (August - December)

HY 211 History of Western Civilization I

AP US History

Spring (January - May)

MH 113 Pre-Calculus Algebra

AP Algebra II

Thomasville High School offers specific Career Tech courses through UWA as follows:

UWA Term

UWA Course

High School Equivalent 

Fall (August - December)

AH 103 Practicum in Athletic Training

Foundations of Sports Medicine/
Sports Medicine Intermediate

Spring (January - May)

AH 231 Athletic Training and Athletic Training Emergency Care Practicum

Sports Medicine Advanced

Applying and Registering for Campus-Based Dual Enrollment

Campus-based students will follow the same procedures as online students to apply for Dual Enrollment and to register for classes. You will complete a Dual Enrollment Application and a Course Registration Form. Be sure to review your course selections with your high school counselor to verify course availability.

If you would like to speak with a Dual Enrollment counselor, please email Kirstan Cunningham at 

Request Info

Submit your information to be contacted by phone/email.


* Required Information

I authorize the University of West Alabama and its representatives to contact me via SMS. I am providing my consent by leaving the opt-in checked. Message and data rates may apply. Terms.

By submitting your information, you confirm you have read the Privacy Policy.