DUO - Two-Factor Authentication
Two-factor authentication adds a second layer of security to your UWA account. Verifying your identity using a second factor (like your phone or other mobile device) prevents anyone but you from logging in, even if they know your password. Passwords alone no longer provide adequate protection. Get started now by activating Duo!
How does it work?
- Enter your username and password as usual
- Use your phone to verify your identity
- Securely logged in
- Push Notification (RECOMMENDED) - With the DUO Mobile app, you can receive a DUO notification on your phone. Open the notification, and you will see two options: a green checkmark and a red X. If you are signing into your account, tap the green checkmark to log in. If you are not signing into your account, tap the red X to deny the login, and change your password immediately.
- Passcodes - The DUO Mobile app will also generate a passcode. This option doesn't require wifi or data, so it is an option if you have limited or no cell/internet service. To get your passcode, open the DUO Mobile app and tap on the UWA logo. When logging in, choose the passcode option and enter the code to log in. If you don't have your device, you may call the Office of Information Technology at 205-652-3565 to have a one-time passcode generated for you.
- Phone Call - The DUO system can also call you on your mobile device or landline phone. DUO will call you and you can press 1 to log in.
Why do I need this?
Passwords are increasingly easy to compromise. They can often be stolen, guessed, or hacked -- you might not even know someone is accessing your account! Two-factor authentication adds a second layer of security, keeping your account secure even if your password is compromised. With Duo Push, you'll be alerted right away (on your mobile device) if someone is trying to log in as you. This second factor of authentication is separate and independent from your username and password -- Duo will never see your password!
- iPhone and iPad
- Windows Phone
- Cell Phones and Landlines
How do I set it up?
Duo's self-enrollment process makes it easy to register your device and install the mobile app (if necessary). For more information, please see "Activate DUO".
Please visit our list of Frequently Asked Questions!