Library Mission Statement
The primary mission of the Julia Tutwiler Library is to enhance the teaching, research, and service functions of The University of West Alabama by providing access to information.
In fulfilling this mission, the Library has four distinct functions:
- To facilitate and to improve teaching and learning by providing a diversity of information resources and services
- To provide resources and services relevant to the intellectual and professional growth of the faculty, staff, and students of The University of West Alabama, as well as the University’s outside clientele
- To provide resources and services relevant to general information needs and to the personal interest needs of the University community, including the University’s extended community and
- To help meet the educational and informational needs of the region which the University serves.
In order to accomplish this mission, the Library strives to reach the following goals:
- To acquire a collection of learning resources that meet the needs of the University
- To organize and manage all units of the Library so that users can effectively access resources and acquire services
- To create an atmosphere that encourages users to come to the Library, with particular emphasis on providing the user with assistance and instruction in the use of resources
- To cooperate in the development of local, regional, and state information networks and resources sharing approaches to meeting the educational and informational needs of the region
- To staff the Library with personnel who are committed to helping the Library fulfill its mission and to reach its goals and objectives
- To provide opportunities for Library faculty and staff to grow professionally and
- To promote throughout the University an awareness of resources available in the Library.