Skip to main content
Explore UWA Request Info Schedule a Visit Apply Now

Financial Aid for Online Students

Online students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for financial assistance to attend the University of West Alabama (Federal School Code 001024). The FAFSA is available online at Students and parents of dependent students can e-sign the FAFSA using their FSA ID username and password. A FSA ID can be obtained at Students must be accepted for admission to the University before their financial aid can be awarded.

Online students are allowed to charge tuition, fees and books against their financial aid award. Financial aid funds are disbursed on the second week of each term.

You can sign up for direct deposit of any remaining funds through the student's WebAdvisor account. It takes at least two weeks to process direct deposit request. If you do not sign up for direct deposit, you will receive a refund check mailed to your LOCAL MAILING ADDRESS. The Student Accounts Supervisor e-mails each student to notify them when a disbursement of federal funds is made. If you need to change your Local Mailing Address, contact the Registrar's Office, Online students are subject to the same deferment fees and late payment fees as all other students.

There are four 8-week sessions (fall/spring) and two 6-week sessions (Summer) in the academic year. You are awarded financial assistance for the entire academic year (fall through summer) or balance of the year. You have to reapply for financial aid annually. You should apply as soon after October 1st as possible for the upcoming academic year.

Online Classes 2013-2014

Student Expense Budget, Per Term (8-weeks)  





($429 per hour)

($477 per hour)

Room & Board






Loan Fees



Misc. Personal









Online students must enroll at least half-time (3 credit hours) to qualify to receive financial aid. Graduate students need to be enrolled with at least 3 credit hours per semester to be considered half-time and eligible for aid. Enrollment with at least 6 credit hours per semester are needed for a graduate student to be considered full-time and eligible for aid.  Undergraduate students with 6 credit hours each term are considered to be enrolled half-time and eligible for aid. Enrollment with at least 12 credit hours per semester are needed for an undergraduate student to be considered full-time and eligible for aid..

Dropping Classes and Withdrawals: Students who officially or unofficially withdraw from the University before completing 60% of a term will be required to repay a prorated portion of the financial aid they received. The 60% point in each term is posted online at Students who drop classes or withdraw excessively will not be in compliance with the minimum standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress to receive financial aid.

Direct Loans: First time at UWA borrowers must complete loan entrance counseling and electronically sign a Master Promissory Note online at

Veteran's Benefits: UWA participates in all programs offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs. Students needing information about the Veteran's Benefits Programs should contact the Registrar's Office, or telephone 205-652-3587.

Request Info

Submit your information to be contacted by phone/email.


* Required Information

I authorize the University of West Alabama and its representatives to contact me via SMS. I am providing my consent by leaving the opt-in checked. Message and data rates may apply. Terms.

By submitting your information, you confirm you have read the Privacy Policy.