Skip to main content
Schedule a Visit Apply Now

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require recipients of federal financial aid to maintain satisfactory academic progress, as determined by the University, to receive assistance funded by the federal government. Satisfactory progress toward a degree is defined in accordance with the following table for purpose of determining eligibility for federal student aid programs:

Qualitative and Quantitative Measures: 

Students are required to make academic progress toward a degree by maintaining the minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) on work attempted at UWA in accordance with the following table:


Hours Attempted 

Required GPA 

 Freshman  0 - 29  1.60
 Sophomore  30 - 59  1.80
Junior 60 - 89 1.90
 Senior  90 or above  2.00
Graduate 7 or above 3.00
Graduate EDS 7 or above 3.25

Time Frame

Federal regulation allow student 150% of the credit hours required to graduate from their program of study, within which, to complete their degree. There are exceptions for students who enroll in the Nursing Program. Nursing student’s time-frames are based only on the classes they have attempted after being admitted to the Nursing Program.

Transfers Students

If you are transferring to the University, we assume you are maintaining reasonable progress toward your degree. Hours transferred from prior schools will be considered in establishing the class standing as well as being considered in determining the overall time frame allowed to receive financial aid. GPAs from transfer colleges will factor into the cumulative GPA for financial aid.


Students may withdraw from the University but must complete 67% of all classes attempted. Students who receive financial aid will have withdrawn courses counted in hours attempted and in calculating the student’s Grade Point Average (GPA). Federal regulation requires the GPA be calculated using ALL COURSES ATTEMPTED, including withdrawals, repeated courses for a higher grade, and academic forgiveness by the University. A student that does not make at least one passing grade each semester will be identified as an “unofficial withdrawal” and will lose eligibility to receive financial aid.  


Academic records are reviewed for satisfactory academic progress at the end of each regular academic year. Students with unsatisfactory academic progress will receive notification by email from the Financial Aid Center.


Mitigating factors sometimes cause a student’s failure to make satisfactory academic progress. Such students can appeal to the Financial Aid Appeals Committee for reinstatement of eligibility. The appeal form is available on the Financial Aid Webpage in the “Forms” folder. Documentation of the mitigating factor(s) is suggested when submitting an appeal. 

Students without mitigating factor(s) can regain federal aid eligibility by completing one term (12 undergraduate or 6 graduate credit hours) without federal financial aid. These courses must be required for their degree with no final grade less than 2.00 (“C”) for undergraduate or 3.00 (“B”) for graduate. Students must notify the Financial Aid Center when these hours are completed and request reinstatement of their eligibility to receive financial aid.


Students who lose their financial aid eligibility because of a failure to maintain reasonable progress towards a degree may reapply for financial aid eligibility reinstatement after clearing the deficiency or attaining the minimum GPA. Students who re-establish eligibility may not retroactively receive funds for periods of enrollment in which they were ineligible. The University cannot adjust subsequent financial aid payments to compensate students for the loss of financial aid during periods of ineligibility.

Apply for reinstatement.

Effective Fall 2017