Master of Education (Certification) Special Education Collaborative Teacher 6-12
Program Admission Requirements
To be admitted to this program, the prospective candidate must meet all requirements for admission to the School of Graduate Studies, including fingerprints/verification of background clearance, and hold valid baccalaureate level certification in any teaching area.
I. Professional Courses: 16 hours
- ED 500. Foundations of Education (3)
ED 501. Educational Planning (3)
- ED 504. Techniques of Educational Research (3)
ED 506. Educational Statistics (3)
- ED 505. Technology and Education (3)
- ED 508. Technology Portfolio (1)
- EP 500. Advanced Educational Psychology (3)
EP 506. Life-Span Development and Learning (3)
- CO 547. Counseling Multicultural Populations (3) *
II. Certification Area: 18 hours
- SE 501. Characteristics and Strategies for Special Needs Students (3)
- SE 502. Developing Receptive and Expressive Communication Skills (3)
- SE 503. Seminar in Behavior Management (3)
- SE 504. Seminar in Special Education Issues (3)
- SE 506. Teaching the Severely and Profoundly Disabled (3)
- SE 554. Methods for the Collaborative Teacher/Special Education 6-12 (3)
Total Required: 34 hours
- Candidates who have not completed a practicum at the previous level must do so (SE 559 ).
- Applicants for initial Class A Certification must meet the requirements of the Alabama Educator Certification Testing Program (AECTP) as a precondition for certification.
- *Educator candidates who have not previously met the special education requirement must take a general survey course in special education SE 500 or if they have credit for a previous general special education course they will need to take CO 547.
- This program is also offered online.
Program Completion Requirements
The candidate shall:
- Maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.25 or better in all courses in the approved program as verified on an official transcript with no grade less than “C.”
- Make a satisfactory score on a written comprehensive examination documenting mastery of the curriculum of the program.
Requirements for Alabama Class A
- Meet all program requirements.
- Hold a valid bachelor’s level professional educator certificate.
- Have an official transcript from a regionally accredited institution documenting an earned master’s degree.
The Educator Preparation Program and the Educator Certification Program are governed by the Alabama State Department of Education, and the College of Education reserves the right to change requirements in these programs at any time when such changes are mandated by the State Department.