Master of Education (Certification) Library Media
Program Admission Requirements
To be admitted to this program, the prospective educator candidate must meet all requirements for admission to the School of Graduate Studies, including fingerprints/verification of background clearance, and hold a valid bachelor’s level or valid master’s level Professional Educator Certificate in a teaching field or valid master’s level certification in another area of instructional support. Two years of satisfactory educational experience is required prior to admission to the Class A Program. Note: Educational experience is defined as: teaching experience and instructional support experience, including full-time educational work in: (1) any state or local public school, regionally accredited postsecondary school, educational agency, or educational association; (2) an accredited, state registered, state-approved, and/or church-related nonpublic school; and (3) rehabilitation facilities for P-12 students. Education experience as an intern, graduate assistant, student teacher or in positions such as substitute teacher, aide, or clerical worker, shall not be considered.
I. Professional Courses: 9 hours
- ED 504. Techniques of Educational Research (3)
ED 506. Educational Statistics (3)
- ED 505. Technology and Education (3)
- CO 547. Counseling Multicultural Populations (3) *
II. Certification Area: 24 hours
- LM 506. Literature for Children and Young Adults (3)
- LM 561. Instructional Media (3)
- LM 562. Library Media Cataloging and Classification (3)
- LM 563. School Library Media Center Management and Collection Development (3)
- LM 564. Critical Issues in School Library Services (3)
- LM 565. Reference Services and Information Storage and Retrieval (3)
- LM 566. Libraries and Legal Issues (3)
- LM 569. Internship in Library Media (3)
Total Required: 33 hours
- *Students who have not previously met the special education requirement must take a general survey course in special education (SE 500) or if they have credit for a previous general special education course they will need to take CO 547 .
- This program is also offered online.
Program Completion Requirements
- A grade-point average of not less than 3.25 on a four-point scale on all work attempted with no grade less than “C.”
- A satisfactory score on the appropriate Praxis II exam covering all the content of the program.
- Satisfactory performance of the responsibilities in a full-time internship of at least ten weeks and 300 clock hours supervised jointly by individuals who hold a valid master’s level Professional Educator Certificate in library media and who are employed as librarians and a specialist in the same area from UWA.
Requirements for Alabama Class A Certification in Library Media
- Meet all program completion requirements.
- Hold at least a valid Class B Professional Educator Certificate in a teaching field, a valid Class A Professional Educator Certificate in a teaching field or in another area of instructional support, a valid Class A Professional Leadership Certificate.
- Have an official transcript from a regionally accredited institution documenting an earned master’s degree.
The Educator Preparation Program and the Educator Certification Program are governed by the Alabama State Department of Education, and the College of Education reserves the right to change requirements in these programs at any time when such changes are mandated by the State Department.