Program Director and CNA Instructor - WIOA Youth Program
Effective Date: July 13, 2021
1. Current Alabama Nursing License.
2. Two years of nursing experience, with at least one year of experience caring for geriatric patients.
3. Adult teaching experience* by ONE of the following:
a. Masters in Nursing
b. Attended an approved Alabama Train-the-Trainer course
c. Completed instructor training at American Red Cross (include copy of instructor certification) or
d. Experience teaching at the college level
4. Excellent written and oral communication skills
5. Experience working in a team setting
6. Strong time-management and organizational skills
*If you do not have the required Adult teaching experience, you will be required to attend an approved Alabama Train-the-Trainer course to meet this qualification prior to beginning instruction.
- Clinical supervision and training experience.
- Teaching experience.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, word processing, email.
- Quick learner who is self-motivated, detail-oriented, and deadline-focused.
The UWA WIOA Career Pathways for Youth Program is housed with the Division of Economic and Workforce Development (DEWD) at The University of West Alabama. The Program Director is responsible for coordinating all required program activities to ensure the successful implementation and management of the UWA WIOA Career Pathways for Youth Program in compliance with the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). Specifically, this individual is responsible for the coordination and leadership of the program. Additionally, this individual is responsible for implementing and teaching the nurse aide curriculum.
This is a grant-funded position, filled annually.
As Program Director, this individual will work closely with the DEWD Vice President and Program Administrator as well as other program staff to operate the program. This position reports directly to the Vice President of the Division of Economic and Workforce Development and is responsible for managing the WIOA Youth team, coordinating program activities, and ensuring that WIOA requirements are met. In addition, this individual facilitates and nurtures relationships between the division and regional partners, including but not limited to: UWA’s Division of Nursing, UWA’s College of Business & Technology, the Demopolis Career Center, Alabama’s Region 3 Workforce Development Council, and the Alabama Department of Commerce.
As CNA Instructor, this individual is responsible for classroom and clinical instruction as well as case management and documentation. This position also serves as the Program Coordinator per Alabama Department of Public Health guidelines.
- Collaborate with organizations, governmental bodies and other institutions of higher education serving the Black Belt Region and Alabama Workforce Development Region 3 to identify, secure and coordinate resources necessary to ensure the successful implementation of the program in targeted counties.
- Ensure program staff remain on task and that program goals and timelines are met.
- Work with program and career center staff to recruit, enroll, provide case management, provide job coaching, and provide follow up services for all program participants.
- Determine barriers to success for program participants.
- Work with program instructors to plan and prepare program instructional materials and test prep materials. Ensure that all instructional materials are updated.
- Oversee the maintenance and management of all records and files for the program.
- Maintain detailed case notes and input case notes in the required case management system/program procedures.
- Ensure that career center staff are updated on participants’ progress through the program.
- Oversee the management of the program budget and track all program materials and supplies.
- Ensure that all materials necessary for the successful implementation of the program are kept in stock with the division.
- Visit all site locations and serve as liaison between sites, the UWA Division of Nursing, consultants, and division staff.
- Provide material to Public Relations Specialist for recruitment and promotion, including advertisements.
- Assist with general office functions, including customer service, answering telephone, and other related activities.
- Work with the Vice President and other program staff to develop additional tracks within the program.
- Manage the program with an eye toward continual, positive improvement based on knowledge gained as new initiatives are implemented.
- Work closely with Vice President of the Division of Economic and Workforce Development and perform all other tasks required by the Vice President.
- Instruct CNA students according to the program’s approved curriculum.
- Determine barriers to success for participants and serve as a mentor/advisor.
- Maintain class records, files, and supplies for the program and coordinate with the Program Director and Case Manager in the management of these files.
- Ensure all CNA participants have the required documentation for credentials
- Maintain the program lecture and lab space, including conducting regular inventory of needed supplies.
- Prepare students for exams by conducting review sessions as needed.
- Supervise clinical rotations.
- Coordinate site locations and serve as liaison between sites, Program Director, UWA Division of Nursing, consultants and DEWD staff.
- Provide material to Public Relations Specialist for recruitment and promotion.
- Work closely with the Vice President, WIOA Program Director, and WIOA Case Manager to successfully implement the program.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President or WIOA Program Director.
- Serve as liaison with the Alabama Department of Public Health.
Compensation: Salary based on experience. Attractive benefits package. Generous holidays, annual leave, and sick leave.
Application Deadline: Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
To Apply: Send materials listed below to:
Dr. Tina Jones, Vice President
Division of Economic and Workforce Development
The University of West Alabama
Livingston, AL 35470
- Cover letter.
- Resume/vita. Applicants must have two years of nursing experience, with at least one year of experience caring for geriatric patients.
- Copy of Alabama Nursing License.
- Documentation of adult teaching experience (see above).
- Email and phone number of three professional references; reference letters may be requested later.
- Transcripts of all college work. Unofficial transcripts will suffice for application. Official transcripts must be submitted immediately upon employment.
The University of West Alabama does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, hearing status, personal appearance, color, sex, pregnancy, political affiliation, creed, ethnicity, national origin (including ancestry), citizenship status, physical or mental disability (including perceived disability), age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran or military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, or any other protected category under applicable local, state, or federal law, including protections for those opposing discrimination or participating in any grievance process on campus, with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, or other human rights agencies.
Minority applications encouraged.