• On Campus Jobs 

    Social Security Numbers and F-1 Visa Status 

    Social Security numbers are generally assigned to people who are authorized to work in the United States.  Social Security numbers are used to report your wages to the government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits. Social Security will NOT assign you a number just to enroll in a college or school. 

    Thus, you will NOT be able to apply for a social security card until you have received an offer of on-campus employment or actually have on-campus employment.

    IMPORTANT:  Students in F-1 status are allowed to work on-campus for the University for a maximum of 20 hours per week during the academic year (unlimited during vacation periods).

    Working without proper authorization is considered by the DHS as the MOST serious violation of its regulations.

     Click here to learn how to obtain a Social Security number if you have obtained an on campus job.

    Should you have questions or concerns, please contact Mark Davis.