• Student Health
  • Student Health Services

    Medical Record Forms and Other Information for New Students

    For the safety of our campus community, all students are required to have up-to-date immunizations before arriving on campus.  Failure to comply with the Entrance Medical Forms, including required vaccines, will result in an inability to participate in pre-fall activities such as, athletics, band, cheerleader (tryouts or practice) or move into the residence halls and begin fall classes.  You can check your status by contacting the UWA Admissions Office.

    The following information must be submitted to the Admissions Office one month prior to your enrollment.

    Fall term - forms due by August 1
    Spring term - forms due by December 1
    Summer term - forms due by May 1

    1. Entrance Medical Forms 

    Medical Questionnaire -  All medical forms will be made available to the UWA Campus Police in cases of student emergencies [medical history form].

    2. Immunization History 

    The University of West Alabama requests an official copy of your up-to-date Certificate of Immunization.  The following immunizations are required:

    • MMR - Measles, Mumps and Rubella - K-12:  1 dose of rubella and 1 dose of mumps are required, each administered on or after the 1st birthday.  Second dose - 2MCV:  1st dose on/after 1st birthday and 2nd dose after 28 days.
    • Meningitis Vaccine - One dose after age 16
    • TB Screening/Testing 
    • Recommended:  Tetanus Booster - doses of tetanus-diphtheria toxoid vaccine must be given 5 - 10 years after the preschool booster.

    The University of West Alabama Student Health Service program is operated through an agreement with Anderson's Family Medical Center.  Dr. James Robinson's office is located adjacent to the UWA campus, on Wise Circle, and is accessible from Hwy 11 North.  Students may go to the clinic on a drop-in basis or call for an appointment at (205) 652-5778.  As the University physician, Dr. Robinson sees students regarding routine matters.

    After normal office hours, and in case of emergencies, students needing medical attention should go to Hill Hospital in York.  The University will not be able to provide transportation to the hospital, but will arrange for ambulance service, if requested.  The student will be responsible for the expense for all hospital services and ambulance transportation, if applicable.  On-campus residents should contact a resident assistant or their hall director if there is a medical emergency.  The Housing staff member will contact campus police, and the campus police office will determine whether an ambulance should be called.

    A student who has family health insurance coverage should be prepared to provide documentation of such coverage in the event he/she requires medical attention other than that provided by the University. 

    Students with musculoskeletal and orthopedic injuries may use the services provided by the UWA Athletic Training and Sports Medicine Center located in the Homer Field House.  S

    Anderson's Student Health Clinic

    Hours of operation          

    Monday - Thursday  8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
    Friday 8:00 a.m. - noon

    The Anderson's Student Health Clinic provides confidential services to any UWA student, regardless of the type of insurance he/she holds.  Health services are available to all undergraduate students enrolled for seven (7) or more hours and have paid the mandatory $55.00 student health fee.  There is also a $5.00 co-pay for each visit.  Expenses incurred for care beyond that provided by the University are the responsibility of the student. 

    Photo ID 

    To reduce the risk of identity theft and to increase our efficiency to check you in, we require that you show a photo ID when you check in for your appointment.  The preferred ID is your UWA ID Card, but a driver's license, passport or other photo ID are also acceptable.