• Academic & Leadership Trustee Scholarships

     Printable Scholarship Application  

    Out-of-State Scholarship Recipients Now Receive In-State Tuition Rates

    All non-Alabama resident, full-time University of West Alabama undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens and receiving Trustee Scholarships, Leadership Scholarships, Athletics Scholarships, and Fine Arts Scholarships (including Band, Choir, and Theatre Scholarships) will receive in-state tuition rates to attend UWA. This is an additional savings of $26,040 over four years.

    Click here for information on the scholarships that qualify out-of-state students for in-state tuition rates. 

    To be considered for academic, leadership or alumni scholarship assistance a student must meet unconditional Admissions standards (19 or higher ACT and 2.0 or better GPA) and apply for admission and scholarship by April 15th.

    Trustee awards are not available to online students or to international students who are attending UWA through a partnership program or memorandum of agreement with another university or college and/or who have special UWA scholarship provisions. 

    Scholarship Information


  • Other UWA Scholarships

    Alumni Scholarships
    • Please visit the UWA Alumni Website for information about Alumni Scholarships and Applications. 
     Academic Related Scholarships
    • Alabama Power: Available to full-time students majoring in Environmental Science. The recipient must be a legal resident of Alabama. Contact the Dean of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at (205) 652-3414.
    • Colquitt Language and Literature Memorial: Amount varies. Contact the Chair of Languages and Literature Department in the College of Liberal Arts at (205) 652-3641. 
    • Kelly Land Writing Competition: $1,000 one-time scholarship to entering freshman who has won the Kelly Land writing competition held during April of the student’s senior year. Contact the Department of Languages and Literature at (205) 652-3460. 
    • James Pate History Essay Competition Scholarship: $1,000 one-time scholarship to entering freshman who has won the James Pate History Essay Competition held during the student’s senior year. Contact Dr. Richard Schellhammer at (205) 652-3632. 
    • Darryl Hutcheson Memorial: Amount varies. Available to students majoring in technology in industrial technology. Contact the Dean of the College of Business at (205) 652-3471. 
    • Julia Tutwiler Scholarship Fund: Available to education majors in good academic standing. Contact the Dean of the College of Education at (205) 652-3421.
    Other UWA Scholarships
    • Skipper Fireman Scholarship: Available for students who are willing to participate in the student firefighter program. Must maintain a 2.75 GPA. Contact Chief Terry Peeler at (205) 652-9777.
    • UWA Cheerleading: $1,000 per year. For tryout dates and more information, contact Jason Gardner at (205) 652-3624.
    • UWA Band: Amount varies. For more information, please contact Glen Smith, Director of UWA Marching Band at (205) 652-3598. Audition required.
    • UWA Choir: Amount varies. For more information, please contact Choral Director Willie Williams at (205) 652-5414.
    Outside UWA Scholarships
    These scholarships require a separate application. Contact information required.
    • Allyrae Wallace Educational Trust: Designated for students from Wilcox County, Alabama. Must contact by writing a letter of request (for application) to: Allyrae Wallace Educational Trust, PO Box 433, Camden, AL 36726.
    • American Legion Auxiliary: For an application, please write to: Executive Secretary, American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Alabama, 120 North Jackson Street, Montgomery, AL 36104.
    • J. L. Bedsole Scholars Program: A scholarship based on character and leadership. Student must be graduating from an accredited school in the following counties: Mobile, Clarke, Baldwin, Monroe, or Washington (graduates of Sweetwater High School also eligible). For more information, call (334) 432-3369 or email patty@jlbedsolefoundation.org.
    • Simpson Scholarship: Must be a resident of Wilcox County, AL and apply between January 1 and March 1 of the year of graduation from high school, Alabama Southern CC or George Wallace CC. For more information, visit: www.thesimpsonfoundation.org.
    • United Daughters of the Confederacy: Must be a lineal descendant of an eligible Confederate (one who served honorably in the Confederate Army, Navy, or Civil Service or who gave Material Aid to the Cause). For more information, visit: www.hqudc.org/Scholarships.