• Satisfactory Progress Policy for Financial Aid

    Federal regulations require recipients of federal financial aid to maintain satisfactory academic progress, as determined by the University, to receive assistance funded by the federal government. Satisfactory progress toward a degree is defined in accordance with the following table for purpose of determining eligibility for federal student aid programs:

    Qualitative and Quantitative Measures:
    Students must successfully complete (“D” or better) at least one course each semester. Failure to do so will result in unsatisfactory academic progress and future financial aid will be cancelled. Students must complete at least 67% of all courses attempted. Students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) in accordance with the following table:



    Hours Attempted

    Required GPA


    0 - 29



    30 - 59



    60 - 89



    90 or above


    Graduate 0 - 6 2.50
      7 - 12 2.75
      13 or above 3.00


    Time Frame:
    Students are allowed by federal regulation 150% of the program in which they are enrolled within which to complete their degree. Exceptions are made for students who enroll in the Nursing Program. Nursing student’s time-frames are based only on the classes they have attempted after being admitted to the Nursing Program.

    Undergraduate students failing to meet the above standards are not eligible to receive federal financial assistance. Such students can appeal for reinstatement of their eligibility when they complete 12 undergraduate credit hours or 6 graduate credit hours at UWA, without federal financial aid. The hours must be required for their degree, with no final grade less than 2.00 (“C”) for undergraduate students or 3.00 (“B”) for graduate students. They may be taken all at once or over more than one term. After the required hours are completed, the student must submit an Appeal for Financial Aid Reinstatement. Any withdrawals during this period of financial aid probation will result in immediate loss of eligibility for future periods of enrollment.

    Students are reviewed for satisfactory academic progress at the end of each regular academic year, after spring grades are reported. Students suspended or dismissed from the University for academic reasons will be considered ineligible for federal student aid funds until they have met the above standards at the University. Reestablishment of eligibility for federal assistance may be accomplished only at the end of a term and students who re-establish eligibility may not retroactively receive funds for periods of enrollment in which they were ineligible. The University cannot adjust subsequent financial aid payments to compensate students for the loss of financial aid during periods of ineligibility.

    Transfers Students:  Students transferring to the University are assumed to be maintaining reasonable progress. Hours transferred from prior schools will be considered in establishing the class standing as well as being considered in determining the overall time frame allowed to receive financial aid. GPAs from transfer colleges will factor into the cumulative GPA for financial aid.

    Withdrawals:  Students may withdraw from the University but must complete 67% of all classes attempted. Students who receive financial aid will have these courses counted in the hours attempted.

    Repeat Courses: Students are allowed to receive financial aid to repeat a course, in which they have a passing grade, one time. However, all courses (including repeated courses) are counted in determining Satisfactory Academic Progress. Students should consult the Financial Aid Center if they have questions. Remedial courses up to 30 hours and non-credit courses are not included in in the SAP calculation. Incomplete grades are not included until the incomplete is removed.

    Appeals:  In order to appeal the loss of eligibility for financial aid because of failure to make reasonable progress under the quantitative, qualitative, or time frame measurers, the following procedure has been established. It is imperative that the student follow the procedure as outline below:

    1. Thoroughly read the Satisfactory Academic Progress Letter from Financial Aid.
    2. Thoroughly read the Satisfactory Progress Policy for Financial Aid.
    3. Download, print and complete the Request for Reinstatement of Financial Aid form. Sign and submit it to Station 3 to be brought before the committee. Attach any documentation, which supports the claim and outline the steps taken to correct the lack of academic performance. 
    4. Receive a decision from the committee.

    Reinstatement:  Students who lose their financial aid eligibility because of a failure to maintain reasonable progress towards a degree may reapply for financial aid after clearing the deficiency or attaining the minimum GPA.