• Grant Guide

    What is a service grant?

    Service grants provide services and resources to the grant recipients as opposed to a monetary grant. This means the University might hire outside contractors for the project or utilize the services of faculty, staff or students to complete the project. Any funds transferred take place between the University and the contractor or supplier.

    Who can apply? 

    The University will only provide grants to cities, towns or communities in the Black Belt region. This region includes the following counties: Bullock, Choctaw, Dallas, Greene, Hale, Lowndes, Macon, Marengo, Perry, Pickens, Sumter and Wilcox. Projects may not cross into counties not included in this list.

    Who cannot receive these service grants?

    Please note that grants will NOT be awarded to and/or for the benefit of:

    Religious organizations for religious purposes
    Political organizations
    Candidates for public office
    School systems
    National fundraising drives
    Tickets for Benefits
    Lobbying activities
    Scholarship or endowment funds
    Capital Investments

    How can I apply for a grant?

    Please apply by filling out an application and emailing/mailing it to us at:

    Division of Outreach Services
    The University of West Alabama
    Station 35
    Livingston, AL 3547

    If you have any questions, do not hesitate to give us a call at 205.652.3665. Our staff will be more than willing to assist you in the application process.

    Are these grants renewable?

    Our grants are not renewable. Cities and towns must apply each year.